Great for lunch or dinner, this healthy low-carb, no-added-sugar alternative fufu is loaded with veggies, fibre and protein.
Soup Cook Time: 55 minutes
Swallow Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total time: 70 minutes
Ingredients – (6 Servings)
- 2 cups of Ground Melon Seeds - Egusi
- 1 cup of Palm oil
- 425g of cooked Goat meat
- 60g of Cow tripe
- 40g of smoked dried Catfish
- 2 tbsp. (10 g) of dried ground Crayfish powder
- 2 Onions
- 2 Large Red bell peppers
- 1 Scotch Bonnet or Habanero pepper
- 1 – 2 tsp. of Salt to taste
- 3 Stock cubes (may add more if desired)
- Steamed Spinach leaves – 400g
- Blend the onion and peppers together until smooth and set aside.
- Heat the palm oil in a pot until hot.
- Add the blended onion and peppers
- Cover the pot and allow to cook until it starts to fry with medium heat about 20 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add the egusi powder and stir gently, add the dry crayfish powder, salt and stock cubes. Leave to cook for 20 mins on medium heat.
- Add the pre-cooked and spiced meat, leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the Spinach and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes (stir constantly). Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve while still hot.
Tip: Substitute Spinach leaves for Kale or Swiss chard.
Vegscrumptious African Swallow: (15 mins)
- Measure desired quantity of African Swallow Powder
- Add gradually to boiling hot water on stove
- Stir gradually until smooth
- Reduce heat and stir until fully cooked
- Serve while hot
Per 1 serving of Egusi recipe
Saturated Fat 20g
Sodium 1254 mg
Potassium 779 mg
Sugars 4 g
Per 100g - 1 serving of Vegscrumptious African Swallow
Saturated Fat 0.4g
Sodium 340 mg