Fully loaded with pickled veggies, mushrooms and a fried egg, this take on a classic Korean bowl is made with Vegscrumptious – Healthy Rice Substitute for a low-carb, no-added-sugar version that’s keto-friendly.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes (+ 15 minutes standing time)
Quick Pickled Veggies:
1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced carrots
1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced cucumber
1/4 cup (60 mL) rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
8 pkg (40 g each) Vegscrumptious – Healthy Rice Substitute
3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
1/2 lb (250 g) sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
4 cups (1 L) baby spinach
1 cup (250 mL) bean sprouts
4 eggs, fried
2 tbsp (30 mL) sriracha sauce
4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Quick Pickled Veggies: Toss together carrots, cucumber, vinegar and salt. Let stand for 15 minutes; drain.
- Base: Meanwhile, place rice substitute in resealable, heatproof container. Add 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) boiling water, ensuring rice is totally immersed. Cover immediately. Let stand for 15 minutes; drain excess water.
- Heat oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; stir-fry rice substitute for about 2 minutes or until slightly crispy and heated through. Stir in vinegar and soy sauce until well coated. Set aside.
- Assembly: Heat oil in separate large skillet set over medium-high heat; cook mushrooms, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden and tender. Remove from pan. Stir spinach into same skillet; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until wilted.
- Divide rice substitute among 4 bowls. Top each bowl with pickled veggies, mushrooms, spinach, bean sprouts and fried egg. Drizzle with sriracha and sprinkle with green onions.
Tip: Use cremini, shiitake or button mushrooms – or a mix of your favourite mushrooms.
Per 1 bowl (1/4 recipe)
Saturated Fat 4g